Assistant Fire Chief
Assistant Chief Ballew has over 25 years experience in the Fire Service. He has been an Instructor for the SC Fire Academy since 1997. Chief Ballew has served PBFD for eight years and is currently responsible for Fire Department Operations and Training.
He previously served as the Assistant Director of the Spartanburg County Emergency Services Academy. Chief Ballew recently completed the Fire and Rescue Management Institute at UNC Charlotte and is working on a degree in Fire Science Technology.
- Plans, coordinates, schedules and/or conducts all training programs delivered within the department.
- Responsible for all fire suppression duties as described in Section B “Firefighting Duties”.
- Assumes responsibility for general upkeep of the station and equipment assigned.
- Completes files and records all training records and reports as required.
- In the absence of Fire Chief, will assume command and control of all emergency activities and the daily operations of the Fire Department. Disposition of authority will be coordinated with the other Chief Officer (s) and /or Shift Captains based on availability and will be communicated as needed to all department personnel and the Chairman of the Board.
- Organize and conduct training programs. These training programs will include all areas and levels of fire service training.
- Maintain accurate and current training records for each department member.
- Prepare and deliver quarterly training reports to the Board of Commissioners.
- Ensures that all department members meet minimum training requirements for the jobs assigned, i.e. Firefighter, EMT, First Responder, Hazardous Materials Technician, etc.
- Shall inform all personnel of training policies and will post training schedules in a timely manner.
- Coordinates all training to be attended outside of the department to include: courses to be taken, expenses that may be incurred, locations of classes, and which classes’ employees may attend.
- Responsible for department training materials and maintaining training aids in proper operating condition.
- Will attend instructor training workshops and special courses, seminars and/or conventions to enhance training and officer leadership skills. Will attend any programs necessary to enable the department to participate in the S. C. Fire Academy, and National Fire Academy programs.
- The Assistant Chief/Training Officer will maintain a working knowledge of NFPA standards as they pertain to training and safety.
- Will perform other duties and responsibilities as may be required by the Chief.